Sunday, July 31, 2005

Squatter Toilets

I'd heard about these so called "toilets" but I didn't know how widespread they would be! I sucessfully avoided them in the airport and the rest stop when we got off the bus. But at the train station there was no other choice! Ahh! The "noise mask" of running water was very funny but the task was not so funny. But I just bit my lip and tried it out. What else do you do when you have to go so bad! Then I had to figure our which "flush" to use. I learned later from Joey that one is for "big" and one for "little". Oh well. It was over and I thought I'd avoid them in the future. No luck. The school, the laundromat, they're everywhere. But really, they're not that bad. If we look at the positive side it's sure a lot cleaner than most US public restrooms you don't have to "touch" anything. But, if you want to stand up again you do have to grab the bar and pull yourself up!
I know this was WAY more than you all wanted to know. But thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa,
We have a 'adopted' grandson in Russia on a mission and he has had some interesting observations on public toilets too. I'm glad for what we have. It has been many years since I had to use them. They used to have some around Temple Square that I remember using whenI was a little girl. Of course, there are the ones on the locate Wal-Marts etc. but they aren't half bad. Much better then some of the ones in the state parks. Aunt Joleen