Tuesday, September 20, 2005

High School life

Erina is a Senior at Marugame High School and is currently in the throws of craming for her college entrance exams.  She had do quit all of her club activities at the end of summer so she could have more time to study.  When I asked her what she had planned for the week she said, “I’m going to study for my semester finals all this week.  Then I’m going to memorize English vocabulary and archaic Japanese for my entrance exams.’  

Madoka is a junior at a prestigious arts and communications high school in Takamatsu.  She has a gift for drawing and a desire to study fine arts, particularly sculpture, in college.  She has a fairly regular homework load and is involved in a few clubs at school, including the photography club.  Her English is impressive for a sixteen year old, though she suffers from the same hesitancy that cripples most Japanese English speakers.  Today I asked her what she had planned for the week.  ‘I’m going to see two movies this weekend,’ she said, ‘and tonight I am going to study for a test.’

No comments: