Monday, April 10, 2006


The cherry blossoms and callan were baring all at the rest stop on our way to Matsuyama this weekend. We took advantage of some time off to visit the largest city on Shikoku. I visited Matsuyama a few times as a missionary, and coming back with Melissa and Callan was a fine treat. Callan is a super traveler and as you will see in this next set of pictures, we did some super traveling. There are more than thirty tunnels drilled through the mountains between Marugame and Matsuyama and a few of them are more than 2000 meters long (more than a mile). The rest of the highway is mostly built on tall concrete stilts, so either you are barrelling through the heart of the mountains, or skipping over the tops of wide valleys, so that though your traveling through one of the hilliest countries in the world, there is little change in the grade of the road. Callan usually likes the tunnels, but he was asleep most of the ride there so he missed out.

1 comment:

Pastelred said...

Dear Melissa and Joey,
Thank you. I have been enjoying your adventure so much...and wonderful pictures. Often I wonder how your family feels while you are so far away...and what one thing has touched you the deepest since your adventure started?
My husband and I have two grown daughters, one in CA and one in the Air Force.....so forgive me if I send a mothers blessing to the three of you? Drink your water, smile in your sleep so the angels will adore you and be as safe as you can manage. Please continue your postings, they are enjoyed my many. Robin