Saturday, April 01, 2006

Spring is here?

You know its spring in Japan when the birds start chirping and the cockroaches start crawling. After a long cold winter its finally starting to warm up. The late evenings are still chilly and the mornings are little cold, but the days are getting longer and the sun is getting warmer. This morning there are finches chasing each other outside our front window, and yesterday I found a cockroach. The cherry blossoms are even starting to bloom, despite snow in some of the mountains still, and were looking forward to packing away the heaters and our sweaters. However, every time Melissa says “I’m so tired of the cold,” she also says, “But don’t remind me of that in July when it’s so hot.”

Tomorrow is April First and we will be inside the last four months of our trip. We still have a million places we want to see, and things we want to do, and I’m just starting to feel the slightest sense of urgency about trying to get everything done here that I wanted to while we’re here. When we get back in late July, early August, I’ll be taking the GRE, then going back to school for my last two semesters at BYU, starting work at the PR department at The McKay School of education at BYU and as a writing tutor in the honors department, and applying to twelve different graduate schools. Not to mention getting reacquainted with family, and finding something handy to do at the house (my handyman muscle is so out of shape! I’m dying to cut some wood, or use a caulk gun, or throw a hammer).

The next adventure begins in four months. I think I’ll worry about the current adventure first.

No comments: