Monday, December 26, 2005


Okonamiyaki is one of my favorite japanese foods. In fact it is one of our families favorite foods. I ate it my entire mission, Melissa and I ate it on one of our first dates at a Japanese restaurant in Beaverton, and now we eat it on a regular basis here in marugame. It is famous in Japan, and comes in two styles, Osaka style which combines all the ingredients together in one patty, and Hiroshima style which uses noodles, more egg, and layers ingredients rather than mixing them. The following is a detailed description of how I make Okonamiyaki. It is a blending of the two styles, half layered, half mixed together. In reality though my version is more osaka style than Hiroshima style (which I know is a disgrace to my missionary roots) but it is easier to make than Hiroshima style, which takes more grill space, and more skill in my opinion. They taste very similar though, and I would recommend you give it a shot of there is an asian market in your area with the necessary ingredients.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey Joey, this looks yummy! I can't wait to try it out. I'm also wondering, do you have any good recipes for mochi? I just got some mochiko flour and am dying to make mochi but can't find my recipes. If you know of any, could you send them my way? Thanks!

Sarah