Thursday, November 24, 2005

Callan the Communicator

I just walked in the door after my last class and the house was very quiet.  I stepped up into the house from the entry way and Melissa said “Hello Daddy,” in a voice that I knew meant she was repeating what Callan must have said when he heard me come in.  I went into his room where they were reading stories together and saw that Callan had buried his head behind his stuffed doggy.  “Is he asleep?” I asked Melissa. “No,” She said, “Just hiding.”  I bent down and kissed him on the cheek and said ‘Are you hiding?” He shrieked with happiness at being found and gave me a big smile.
As I stood up to take my tie off and say good night he looked at me with a very concerned expression and said, “Baseball one, wear baseball one?” He apparently didn’t like my choice of ties and wanted me to wear the baseball tie that Grandma Fitzgerald helped him pick out for me for father’s day.  “Wear baseball one to MIA” he said again.  I told him I would wear the tie to church next Sunday and walked out of the room.  Before I could get very far, he said, “Daddy, shut the door, shut the door.”  I looked at him and asked him if he really wanted me to shut the door.  “Yes,” he repeated shaking his head very adamantly, so I shut the door and left the two of them in the dark.  

No comments: