Saturday, June 17, 2006

All the World is Vanity, and it Can All be Found Online

So I was inspired by a friend and I Wikipedia-ed myself (that means I typed my name into Wikipedia.com to see what would come up).  Turns out the only Joseph Franklin listed was a serial killer from the late 70’s who had a thing for sniper gear and Nazism.  How awful.  Somewhere there is a person or persons whose life was shredded by a Joseph Franklin, and if they ever met me, or read my essay, all they would think is, ‘he has the same name as the animal that killed so and so.”  Of course there are also those who might read my name somewhere someday and think of the 1960 variety show host with the same name.  Apparently that Joe Franklin is in the Guinness book for having the longest running television show in history-40 years if you believe www.joefranklin.com.  Then there’s the Elvis Impersonator in Vegas. According to gigmasters.com,  
“The voice of the king is alive in Joey Franklin. To hear him is like a step back in time when Elvis’ music entertained thousands.”  Our thoughts our not our own, our lives are not our own, and most assuredly our names are not our own.  I wonder what the other Joe Franklins out there would think if they found out about me.  Maybe one will read this blog.      

No comments: