Monday, June 26, 2006


I'd love to come back here and take some more pictures. The green and burgundy and black that covered these rocks were incredible, and I don't feel like I got a shot that did it justice. I know I probably look like a ridiculous tourist with my camera in tow all the time, but having it with me has meant constantly looking for significant, memorable, and photo worthy colors, shapes, patterns, and people. LIfe is so much more interesting when we see our world as art. The painfully mundane events of every day can become beautiful if we just look at them correctly. The way a student's head bends over there text book, the quiet way my son plucks at his toes when no one is looking, the smile on Melissa's face when she is teaching--these are all images I see everyday, and they are memorable to me when I think of them as a photograph, when I subconsciously shift the frame of the imaginary photograph so that the mundane is cropped out, leaving only the graceful curve of feature, the refraction of light, the play of shadow, and natural beauty and curiousness of the subject.

No comments: