Sunday, June 04, 2006


On my way home from work tonight I passed this scene. A full size minivan had slid off the road and was down in an irrigation ditch. Besides some probable scratching and maybe some denting on the side of the car resting on the concrete gutter, the car looked unharmed, so I don't think it was caused bya collision. More likely the woman was trying to hug the edge of the road to allow another car to pass, and she misjudged the location of the edge. This is exactly what I did back in October, but this woman's car is about four times the size of the car I drove into the gutter, and she was probably going faster, since the car would have needed enough momentum to not only slide off the road, but then topple over completely. I can't imagine being inside the car when it went over, or climbing out of it and having to call the police to tell them what you did. The other day Melissa drove by a man who was talking on his cell phone and standing in a rice field next to his car, which had somehow left the road completely. The man in orange at the center of this picture is the tow truck driver who I imagine is trying to figure out how to get the van out of the ditch. I'm not sure what the policemen are doing besides just holding clip boards (something they do well, and do often), and taking notes. I felt a little bad driving all the way home just to get the camera, and then driving back, hopping out of my car Paparazzi style and snapping a few pictures, but I wasn't the only one who had stopped to look. Several people where craning their necks from the windows of nearby homes, and other passerbys were gathering.

No comments: